Posted on 7/26/12
New this year...you may ride your bike in the Edmonton Gorilla Run! Please note that the only wheels accepted in the race are bikes and wheelchairs. Skateboards, rollerblades, and scooters are not permitted. Please, nothing motorized will be allowed.
Posted on 3/1/12
Registration is now open for the 2012 Edmonton Gorilla Run.
'Top Ten List' to make your race day smooth
1. Gorilla Suits: It is recommended to cut out the eyes and open the mouth on the masks. If the head is a bit too tight, just cut a 3-4 inch slit up the back of the mask. If the arms or legs are too long you can just take a pair of scissors and cut to fit. It's your suit, do as you wish!
2. Parking: Information to be posted soon.
3. Registration: Opens at 8am.
A. If you are a "First Time Gorilla" and already have your gorilla suit and bib number you're good to go and do not need to come to registration.
B. If you are a "First Time Gorilla" and have not collected your gorilla suit and bib number, please go to registration. Registration will be in the park near the start line.
C. For the "Returning Gorilla" or a gorilla with no bib number, go to registration.
4. Donation/Pledges: For all you "Great Gorillas" that took time to collect pledges for our fundraising event, come to the registration area and you will be directed to our donations table. Bring your donation with you and we will have an up to date list of all donations collected. We will add what you bring in to your online total. Great prizes for fundraisers: $50.00: Event T-Shirt or Silverback Coffee of Rwanda (1 lb. bag), $125.00: Plush stuffed gorilla, $250.00: an embroidered fleece vest, $500.00: you will be entered into a drawing and one lucky winner will get a custom made Silverback Bike imported from Cape Town, South Africa. See the fundraising section for more details.
5. Pre-ordered T-Shirts and Vests: If you have pre-ordered one of these items, please come to the registration area to pick up your items. Just mention your name and we will have your item ready for you. If you have not pre-ordered any of these items, please visit the EGR retail booth and do some shopping. We will take Visa, MC and AMEX as well as check and cash.
6. Yelp Bag Check Booth: Need a place to store your things while you run? Visit the Yelp bag check booth to drop of items.
7. The "Most Creative Gorilla Contest" Will begin at 9:25am. For those of you creative gorillas, please be ready to go and one of our volunteers will ask you a couple questions. We will have a panel of highly qualified judges for the best individual and group of gorillas. if you do not plan to enter, just come and watch. It's very entertaining!
8. Race Starts: For 2012 we will have two starts. At 10:00am all gorillas with wheels (bikes and wheel chairs only) will start first. At 10:05am we will start all the rest of you (walkers, joggers, gorillas with strollers) or anything with your feet.
9. Course: The course is 3 miles and we are using some of the bike path systems and streets. You can run, walk, or ride your bike around this course. For the diehard runner and going for 1st place (male and female), the only requirement is that you have to keep your full gorilla suit on.
10. Lunch & Silverback After Party: Information to be posted soon.
Have a fun, safe event and thank you all for helping the mission of the Mountain Gorilla Conservation Fund and the Mountain Gorillas.